Monday, November 3, 2008

Saturday November 1, 2008 Secret Project Robot: Brahloween featuring Oneida, Awesome Color, Dirty Faces and Pterodactyl












There were other bands playing that night, but we arrived too late for Nurse and Soldier, and were too tired to stick around for Knyfe Hytes. Our timing couldn't have been much worse since we missed the $5 admission by about 3 minutes. And then they lowered the price again after 11:40 when the place was probably way past capacity anyway. Fucking hipsters.

Anyway, we arrived in the middle of Pterodactyl song. Since I saw them last (more than a year ago), they've added another guitarist, and the bassist has started to play guitar in addition to bass. The band members showed an impressive commitment to staying in costume that probably didn't help the music much, but it was an overall fun energetic performance which I think is what you can generally expect from this group. These days they actually sound more like the Ex-Models did 5 years ago than the Ex-Models do, but they're still a more direct band. Not sure why I haven't bothered to pick up their album yet...

Up next were The Dirty Faces. Ugh. Apparently the members of Oneida really like this group. I don't get it. The lead singer's voice lacks any musical properties, and the original songs they played were completely forgettable. They opened with a version of "Addicted to Love" that substituted "drugs" for "love" that was actually pretty good. They closed with Aerosmith's "Sweet Dreams" but by then, I had gotten fed up and left to sit outside.

Up next were Awesome Color. For some reason I had them confused with some really boring experimental group I've seen a couple of times. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they were a hard rocking three piece (drums, bass and guitar) band. The first song really just had one bass line, but it was damn good bass riff, and the energetic drumming and inspired guitar playing matched it perfectly. The set sort of dragged in the middle. They covered a Misfits song, which I guess I would have enjoyed if I'd ever listened to the Misfits. For the final song, they were joined by Shahin from the Ex-Models and Oneida. It might have been better than the first one. Can't tell. Both were pretty awesome. Too bad I have no pictures...

And then the main attraction (for me at least). The previous 4 times I've seen Oneida, they've played Pre-Teen Weaponry, which is fun, but since it's taken up about 90% of their set time,I've sort of missed hearing their other songs. That night there was no Pre-Teen Weaponry. Instead it was a pretty typical Oneida set, focusing on "new" songs that haven't been released yet. But having seen them nearly once a month this year, I knew all of the songs they played. I don't have a setlist, and I'm sure I'd get the order wrong, but here's an approximation:

I will haunt you
The River
Ghost in the Room
Up with People
Snow Machine (oh yeah, that took about 20 minutes).

And then we left. I really don't have much else to report. Oneida was predictably good, but I'll probably have more fun at their December 13th show at the Knitting Factory. Stay tuned!

No comments: