Thursday, December 11, 2008

Acid Mothers Temple and the Melting Paradiso UFO: Glorify Astrological Martyrdom


This year AMT and the Melting Paradiso UFO has really let me down. The live shows were lackluster compared to the shows last year, and both albums I've bought from this version of the band have been nearly unlistenable. I'll try to get to the other one, but for now, I want to talk about this one.

But before I rip into it, I just want to say what an awesome album cover and title. It's probably one of their best ones ever. I just couldn't resist even though I know perfectly well that about half of their albums are really not worth listening to.

And the music? The album has just three tracks and all three are pretty awful. The opener "Phantom Utopia Or Suicidal Star Warriors" is probably the worst of the three. It barely has any melody or energy. Instead, Kawabata cranks up his guitar as loud as he can and just blasts it for 20 goddamn minutes. The second track, "Cosmic Soul Death Disco" is slightly better in that it actually has a recognizable groove that the track centers around. Unfortunately, the tune just isn't that good, and the guitar playing is as uninspired as it was on the last track. The album mercifully closes with a shorter song "Stargate of the Hell" that is my favorite simply because it's 15 minutes shorter than the next shortest song on the album.

This is the second total turd I've heard from this version of Acid Mothers Temple. And this one is actually just a shittier version than it's predecessor. There have been at least two other albums released by them this year, so maybe there are stronger moments on those. But as far as I can see, Kawabata is doing his best to prove that The Melting Paradiso UFO is out of ideas. This is a shame since he's made so much great music with these guys. Since he's the only member of the MPUFO that isn't in the Cosmic Inferno, the first instinct would be to blame Tsyuama Atushi. But I don't think that's the problem. All Acid Mothers Temple projects are basically Kawabata's band. Rather, I think the problem here is a lack of collaboration. AMT&TMPUFO's string of great 2007 albums came after bringing a new female singer to the group and including saxophonist/flutist Ono Ryoko in their sessions. This album just has the core 4 members of the group. Without his female muses to inspire him, Kawabata Makoto seems completely adrift.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm a huge fan of "Apocalypse" and the Mercury Lounge show I saw in March was my first AMT live experience since rabidly acquiring over 30 of their releases. I haven't picked up any other new ones yet..."Cometary Orbital Drive" is on its way in the mail. I want to make my yearly contribution to the AMT support fund, however, and "Glorify" seems worth the risk. *Sigh* If only for the cover art.